Surprise! I’ve redesigned my blog! I was sick at home and had way too much time on my hands. I focused all my energy and spent what felt like an eternity transferring from wordpress.com to wordpress.org. I’m surprised that I didn’t fuck it all up and accidentally deleted my homepage. First, here are all the reasons why I transferred:
- I hated the ads on my page. I didn’t make money from them. Like what were they even here for.
- I was looking for more options to design a modern page.
- I’ve literally thrown money out of the window for a domain (benwillgruber.com) and web space for a year, and wanted to finally use it.
- Also, I wanted to feel cool and independent. D’uh.
In the end, I successfully transferred all my content. If you’re interested in all the steps I had to take, let me know. However, there are many great tutorials already available. If you’re thinking about transferring yourself, here is everything that will go wrong in chronological order:
- The Import/Export tool will crash a million times for no apparent reason other than the universe hating you.
- When it finally works, you will have more duplicates of your media files than the NSA.
- Your theme will not transfer and you’ll have to do your layout all over again. However, you’ll find out there are much more themes (and plugins, finally!) available for self-hosted sites.
- You won’t find a regular follow button, decide to add e-mail subscription until you eventually find this helpful tip.
- Your server might cause problems with the PHP WordPress is using. The totally obvious and not at all random solution to this problem is that you’ll have to downgrade your PHP.
- You will now have a real Jetpack in your interface and won’t know what to do with all its features. Also, you won’t understand the WordPress.org interface in general.
- You will need to take another step to move your followers because who doesn’t love it when things are more complicated than they have to be.
- You will need to write a post in a fricking forum to move your stats along with you unless you enjoy having zero views.
- You will need to pay fucking WordPress.com to redirect your viewers to the new URL because they didn’t already make enough money from the ads on your page.
I have never done anything like this but with the help of the internet, I succeeded. If I can do it, you can do it too! If you’re still reading this, I’d love it if you could leave me some feedback on my new layout. Please be kind. I spent hours yelling at my computer. Please tell me if the site is pictured correctly, if you’ve received a regular notification of this post and let me know of any errors you encounter. Thanks!