Pros and Cons of the Worst Year of my Life
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you’ll know that this year was tricky. But to be honest, calling it the ‘worst year’ of my life may be a slight clickbait. Some really bad things have happened this past year, but there were just as many great experiences I am very thankful for. So, I’ve decided to write a Pros and Cons list to find out how bad it’s really been.
- Last year on my birthday my boyfriend broke up with me.
- After getting back together for a couple of months, we broke up for good leading to some very awkward and painful encounters.
- The next couple of months were pretty tough, especially around Christmas.
- Being single again, re-ignited my fear of HIV.
- Earlier this year I’ve been diagnosed with Diabetes Type I.
- As a consequence of having late-onset Diabetes, I was sick more than two months of 2018. I also had to take 5 rounds of antibiotics.
- My new tattoo, which I love very much, became inflamed and will have to be touched up in autumn.
- On July 20th of last year my favorite singer and youth idol, Chester Bennington, committed suicide.
- I haven’t sold many of my t-shirts making me debate if it’s even worth the hustle.
- I still have no clue of what I actually wanna do with my life.
- I’ve finished my studies in psychology last year.
- I’ve made more progress in battling my anxieties (aka OCD) than the last five years combined.
- I’ve rekindled my passion for Yoga, swimming and climbing – things I couldn’t do because of my OCD.
- I’m starting to feel like myself again.
- I traveled to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam and had some amazing experiences.
- I was able to lose a lot of weight and shape up.
- I started freelancing for the Austrian magazine VICE (new article due next week!).
- I’ve contributed an illustration to one of my favorite publications, the new ‘Gay Men Draw Vaginas – the Coloring Book’ (out in early August!).
- I’ve fallen in and out of love again (but I will mostly remember the good parts).
- I’ve met some truly amazing people. I have the feeling that I have finally found friends I feel comfortable enough to be myself around. I think they are here to stay.
- Together we had an amazing ski-holiday in Carinthia I will remember dearly.
- Besides new people, I am also very glad about having some friends I’ve known for a very long time still in my life.
- With these lovely people, I had the best possible birthday celebration. It was everything I could have ever wished for. I even got a rainbow cake and a jar of wishes for next year. I’ve never felt more loved.
- I’ve received some amazing feedback for this blog, both offline and online. From my heart, thank you, to everyone who takes the time to stop by and read my ramblings.
In the end, I don’t know if this was the ‘worst’ year of my life or not. At least I wasn’t bullied, so I guess it was better than most of the time I spend at school. I’ll probably call it a year of extremes. And you know what: I’ve wished for life not to be boring and that’s exactly what I got.
Btw if you wanna check out my summer collection of shirts – now is the time 😉