About New Year Resolutions (Y2020)
1. Keep doing what I love and not sell out
2. Do another art show and 3. Sell art at a design market.
I didn’t do an art show but I was at a design markt and currently have a piece of art exhibited in Mexico.
4. Always give myself the time I need and keep reflecting on life.
I’m making progress, kinda.
More or less: Yes. I’m happy.
6. Make some progress on the book I’ve been working on.
Way too little progress for how much time I’m spending on it.
7. Hopefully find a fulfilling job or other opportunities paying for rent.
Job: no. Opportunities: yes.
8. Read more.
I’ve counted and I think it’s been six books I’ve read which I feel like is way too little.
9. Decorate my balcony and re-do my flat.
Flat: Yeah, the balcony is still a work in progress.
I am happy with how my year went. For the most part of it, I worked as a Freelancer for various gigs and believe that I am on a good path to finding my footing in the Freelance design and journalism market. The next year is definitely not gonna be easy because I wanna focus on this venture and the market is quite tough. I have found a couple of clients who will hopefully make for a more or less regular income. Also, writing for various magazines makes it a little easier for me to find work.
This past year, I’ve started working for the local magazine Futter and had lots of fun writing a big variety of articles on- and offline, including one for the local newspaper Kleine Zeitung. I have also written the article which I believe gained the most views this year about a friend who took part in a reality TV cooking show. I have started doing visual design for a techno event and later learned DJ-ing for the event. I was in a friend’s music video and had the first semi-public gig with my improv theatre group. I have collaborated with my boyfriend on a piece of art that’s currently being shown in the design museum MUMEDI in Mexico. I went to South Africa and spend the beginning of the year in Berlin – a city I still miss dearly. This was a busy, exciting and quite a successful year and I don’t plan on slowing down soon.
Here are my 2020 resolutions
- Become a full-time Freelancer
- Finish or make some good progress on the book I am writing
- Be more vocal about what I want and don’t want
- Be more social
- Spend time creating art, possibly exhibiting it
- Find (and make!) opportunities to DJ
- Travel as much as possible
- Find time for Yoga and other sports
- Reduce smoking, vape instead.
- Take photos. Create memories. Keep life exciting.
In the tradition of this blog, I will forget about this list for the rest of the year and check back next year on how I did.
What are your resolutions?
Title photo by Ray Hennessy