New Year’s Resolutions + 2018 Recap
Last year for the first time I made a list of New Year’s Resolutions. I didn’t see them as a bucket list I had to complete but looking at it now it seems like I unconsciously ticked off most of what I set out to do. Therefore, I thought I’d have a look back and also think about what’s to come in 2019.
I wanna summarize on last year’s resolutions (shortened):
1. Only do the things I like.
I realized I struggle a lot to recognize my needs and working towards having them fulfilled. I will have to continue working on that but I think I mostly achieved staying true to myself.
2. Have an actual art show, even if it’s just a tiny one.
I held my first art show with Jacqueline Kaulfersch and I’m still over the moon for the show we put on.
3. Get a clearer picture of what I wanna do with my life.
I tried so many things in 2018. I did a lot of writing, I made illustrations, I made art, I quit my job(s). Honestly, though, I still don’t know exactly what I’m gonna do with my life but maybe it’s just as simple as continuing down this path.
4. Get over my fucking anxieties. Or at least, learn to manage them better.
A couple of months ago was the first time I decided to write about my struggles with mental health. Along this year, I think I’ve made some valuable progress with my anxieties.
5. Maybe move to some other place for some time. Find out if I’m unhappy or if the city I live in makes me unhappy.
I went to Berlin and found out I am happier than ever before – no matter where I live.
6. Give myself the time I need for, well, everything.
I definitely failed to do that. I rushed through most of 2018, I almost ended up in a state of depression. I wanted to write about that but when I started to feel better, I scrapped that article for good.
7. Keep designing T-shirts and sell them at a local design market.
I continued making apparel design and my stuff is being sold in my Shop but I didn’t actually sell them at any markets. Maybe next year.
8. Go to the gym more often.
I wanted to go to the gym more often but what I actually ended up doing was quitting the gym altogether. Yoga’s more fun anyway.
To keep up with the blogging tradition, I wanted to make new resolutions and focus on what I started in 2018:
1. Keep doing what I love and not sell out.
2. Do another art show.
3. Sell art at a design market.
4. Always give myself the time I need and keep reflecting on life.
6. Make some progress on the book I’ve been working on.
7. Hopefully find a fulfilling job or other opportunities paying for rent.
8. Read more.
9. Decorate my balcony and re-do my flat.
10. Grow as a person and as a friend, lover, son, brother.
I hope your 2018 was everything you hoped for. Thanks for checking in with my blog and keeping me going. Before we start off 2019, I’d like to know what your resolutions for 2019 are or if you don’t set any for yourself. See or read you in 2019.
Suggested further reading:
Healthy Resolutions (Aroused by Arete)
Why I Set Goals instead of Resolutions (Bedlam and Daisies)
New Year’s Resolutions in 2019 (CrapPile)
Good for you … you did some very well and let yourself down in others … they are the ones it might be worth prioritising this year 🙂
Those sound like they were great resolutions and it’s awesome that you managed to accomplish so many of them. 2019 looks like you’ve got a good plan in place to work on. 🙂 Thanks for sharing my link. A few of my goals so far are: become a better photographyer, practic meditation EVERY day, even if it’s 1-3 min, and Hike Virginia’s Triple Crown…I have a very long list though 😉